Monday, June 23, 2014

Janthony Goes To Piedmont

If you have read my previous posts, you know my new Trek Verve's name is Janthony, in honor of the two special people in my life who made her possible.  In the few short months that I have had her, we have logged over 200 miles together, but I had not yet taken her on a trip to Piedmont.  She was due, and so was I.  Deciding there was no better time for this than the first day of Summer, that trip finally happened this past Saturday.  If you live in the Deep South, or have ever lived in the Deep South, you already know that if you want to get anything accomplished outdoors, and you are not fond of the heat, you need to get up at the crack of dawn and get started, because you only have a few hours before the heat and humidity arrive.  I did not follow that wise tip, and did not head out on my ride until 8:30.  I decided to take pictures at my stops along the way, and to make myself drink plenty of water.  I left my beloved water bottle at church several weeks ago, and it has disappeared, so I had a substitute, which I quickly assessed did not live up to its hype of keeping my water cold, even in my insulated carrier.  This $8 bottle is inferior to my $4 one, so if anyone sees a water bottle at church that is shaped like a coke can, please get it for me.  I miss it.  Drinking water several times along the way on the first day of summer in Alabama is an absolute must, and I did not mind stopping to do so several times.  After all, I was not in a race, unless you can count the race against the heat. 

This was my first stop, and my usual stop when I bike with my friends.  It has been nicknamed Jacksonville's Stonehenge, which is quite funny to me, but a great place to stop for a drink, and everyone gets their own seat. 

I had just gotten back on my bike, and then came upon this obstruction.  We have had a lot of pop up afternoon thunderstorms lately, and apparently the one Friday evening felled this tree.  Luckily, it was not all the way across the trail, and easy to maneuver around.  Of course for at least a mile past the fallen tree, I was ever cognizant about debris on the trail and the potential of another puncture wound.  I zigzagged so much that it might appear that I was trying not to get shot. 

 The ride starts to get a little monotonous at this point, but I much prefer this shade to this sun.

There is a lot of sun between Jacksonville and Piedmont, and while this is a good thing in late November and early December, it is not such a good thing in mid June, especially when you are wearing your helmet which you have promised to wear whenever biking alone.  I really do hate that thing.  Right along here is where serious cyclists began to pass me coming and going.  I LOVE to see the expensive road bikes utilizing the trail, and I like to imagine where they are from, and how long they have been riding.  A group of such riders passed me when I was taking care of this little critter, who was almost across the trail, but not quite.

I could not stand the thoughts of someone riding over this little fella, so I stopped to help him all the way across.  The cycling group of two women and three men (all young and fit) passed me, asked if I was okay, and rode on.  I passed them a few minutes later because they had stopped for a drink, and they passed me again even later than that.  As they passed the second time, one of the women complimented me on the pace I was riding and the men seconded that.  They then asked if I rode often, I told them at least 3 times a week, and I got the beloved thumbs up.  I am not going to lie.  That felt great to me.  I don't look like your typical cyclist and I do not ride an expensive road bike, but I appreciated those words of encouragement from strangers I may never see again.  I felt an instant camaraderie with them and I will never forget those nice words.

I arrived soon at the Eubanks Welcome Center in Piedmont, and met other nice cyclists.  I met an elderly gentleman who was riding with his daughter and were from Arab.  They like to come here to ride the Ladiga because they love the trail.  I also overheard a trio of men who were signing the guestbook state that they were riding all 200 miles of the Ladiga/Silver Comet, and decided that if they couldn't do it on the longest day of the year, they didn't need to do it at all.  After looking at them and their bikes, I had no doubt they would accomplish their goal.  Everyone complimented the trail and I lose sight sometimes of how wonderful it really is and how lucky we are to be a part of such a great Rails to Trails system.  Incidentally, signing the guestbook at the welcome centers is a great way to get grant money for the trails, so said the volunteer who was passing the book around, so I added my name.  It is also a great way to find out where cyclists come from, and they come from all over.  Check out the one at the train depot in J'ville when you get the chance. 

After visiting and using the facilities, I was on my way home.  My favorite intersection on this part of the trail is Possom Trot Road.  When I get to that intersection, I know that my ride will be easier both ways, and since it was quickly approaching noon and the temps were climbing, I was very happy to get to Possom Trot Road on Saturday.  I stopped again at stonehenge and made the mistake of getting on my phone to return a couple of calls.  As much as I enjoyed the conversations, my knees did not, and by the time I got back on my bike to head for home, I was stiff and in a lot of pain. 

This was my last stop of the day, and it was at the turtle pond.  I did not intend to stop here, but when I rode by, that log was FULL of turtles.  Every inch occupied by big ones and small ones.  I stopped my bike and stealthily made my way to the edge of the trail so I could get a picture.  I promise I was as quiet as anyone could be, but somehow those turtles heard, felt or smelled me and quickly slid into the water, leaving only three on the log.  I can never sneak up on those things.  Didn't they know I had just saved one of their own a few miles back? 

By the time I got home, I was exhausted and hot.  I had ridden 31.5 miles on the first day of Summer in Alabama.  As hot as I was, I felt accomplished and can't wait to do it again.

Happy Summer!!  Did I mention that it is my least favorite time of year? 





















1 comment:

  1. Love your description of the ride and the pictures. I almost felt like I was riding along with you and I wish I had. Thank you so much for passing on your love for biking to me! I will forever be indebted to you because it has changed my life.

    ReplyDelete