Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Riding With Friends And Family


Last week, I had the pleasure of riding both with friends and with family, and it was two of the best rides I had that week.  There are many benefits to riding with friends and family, and honestly, it is one of the very best ways to experience the trail, because it provides an opportunity to share the day's events without fear of interruption from the television, phone calls or texts.  If you have ever tried to carry on a phone conversation or send a text while riding a bicycle, you know how difficult it can be, and since I have done both, I can honestly say that neither are recommended activities, especially when you have the balance problems I have. 

When I was gifted my new bike, my old faithful cruiser was in turn gifted to our daughter Kira, and she has decided to ride with me at least once a week.  The cruiser looks like it was made for her, and it behaves itself when she is riding, which makes me wonder if it had just grown weary of me.  She doesn't have the shifting problems I have and the love appears to be mutual.  My husband Anthony, on the other hand, is in dire need of a bike to fit his six foot plus frame, and I know that when we find one, he will begin to love riding the trail as much as we do. 

I have been riding with friends for as long as I have been riding the trail, and have made memories that will forever be special to me.  One of my favorite riding partners, Betsy, has since moved to Missouri, and I miss our times on the trail so much.  I miss the times we misjudged how long it would take before it turned dark, and ended up hauling tail to make it back to my house while we could see where we were going.  I remember one time in particular when we really couldn't see that well, and rode home on a wing and a prayer.  There was also the time we barely dodged the rat snake that had stretched itself across the entire width of the trail, and we learned how well Betsy's brakes worked.  Turns out, she can stop on a dime.  When she, Jan and I rode the length of the trail this past November, they took all the pictures, which is why there is not one of the three of us together.  The pictures only tell a portion of the memories we made that day, and how we hope to turn that into an annual event.

One of my other friends, Lauren (pictured with Jan above), is planning a trip to Maine this summer, where she will experience several days of cycling and kayaking as part of a tour, and I can think of no one better to do this than her.  Lauren and Jan both are so cool, and other than sharing the Ladiga with me, they run/walk many races, kayak, and do all the things really cool women do.  I feel honored when they ask me to ride with them, and last week was no exception.  We rode over 16 miles, but it felt closer to 10, and I was sad when we stopped.  I tend to talk a LOT when I am riding with a friend, and when the subject is one I am passionate about, I tend to ride faster, which I don't really notice until after I get home, shower and try to sit down.  Apparently, riding with friends is a great cardiovascular workout as well.

I have been sick this week, and other than the pain that comes with a head that feels like the air needs to be let out, what I have missed the most has been the trail and my bike.  I have a ride scheduled with Jan and Lauren this week, and I am determined to make it, even if I have to crawl onto my bike seat.

I need the therapy.

2 comments:

  1. ... and I need my therapists (you and Chief Ladiga). I think this might be the first time ever that "cool" has been applied to me as an adjective, and I'm basking in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't imagine how much I miss those rides on the Ladiga! You and Jan are my inspiration to take up biking and I will be forever grateful for that. The late night rides were a little scary, but the moon light allowed us to see the edges of the trail and we were fortunate nothing was on the trail for us to hit. As long as my memories allow, I will treasure those special times on the Chief Ladiga Trail with very special friends and hopefully will have opportunities to make more memories in the future!

    ReplyDelete