Thursday, April 24, 2014

Back In The Saddle

Last week, I was down for the count because of allergies, that may or may not have turned into bronchitis, that may or may not have teetered toward pneumonia.  Honestly, I am not sure what I had.  All I know for certain is that I felt terrible, and there was no way bike rides would be on my agenda.  My last ride was on April 11th, and I would not ride again until Easter Sunday, which was this past Sunday, the 20th. 

Boy, did I miss my rides!  I missed the physical activity, and the mental clarity that comes when I am on my bike.  I missed riding with my friends/family, and I missed riding alone.  I was okay during those days when it was rainy or too windy.  I didn't feel the pull of the trail, but rather the pull of my bed or recliner or OTC medicine, medicinal oils, ibuprofen.  Yes, I took them all.  I walked around with my face glistening from either oil, Vicks Vaporub, or both.  It wasn't glistening with perspiration or tiny black bugs that cling to me on every ride, and honestly, I missed both of those.  Okay, maybe not the bugs so much. 

My ride Easter Sunday was exhausting for me for several reasons.  It was the first time I had ridden in eight days, I rode my cruiser with its messed up gear so my friend would have a bike to ride, and most of all,  I was exhausted from being sick.  Honestly, we only rode 10 miles, and as happy as I was to get back out there, I was equally happy to get back home because I was spent.  I was so tired, in fact, that I did not realize that in my eight day absence, THIS happened:

We went from this:                                      To this:

                   

SPRING SPRANG!!!!!!

Yesterday, I hit the trail again, and felt so close to my old self, that except for having to be back, I would have likely stayed for at least another hour, and I am pretty sure my riding partner would have indulged me.  I was back on my bike which was good for me, because I need its ease of riding while I ease back into the activity.  I felt much better physically, although I still have some nagging congestion trying to hang around, and the weather was perfect.  

I cannot say enough about what a beautiful trail we have.  Many of my friends who ride, walk, or run have remarked that our trail is their therapy, and I have to agree.  I may be dead tired after a long day at work, but as soon as I get on my bike and feel the wind in my face, I am almost instantly rejuvenated.  I may complain about certain areas of the trail I detest (you know who you are), and I may have to slow down and meander every once in awhile, and I may have to shower and take a nap after a longer than usual ride, but it is worth it, because for that hour or two, and sometimes three, I am exactly where I am supposed to be, doing something I adore, not because I have to, but because I want to.

Life is better on the trail, and this time of year, it is certainly greener.

1 comment:

  1. I bet you hate the same part of the trail I hate. The "up hill both ways" portion going toward Piedmont and the "Great Dane drops a deuce here every day" portion. We need to get together for some rides.

    ReplyDelete