Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Riding Solo

I love that picture, because it is creative, and it pretty much sums up how I feel when I am on my bicycle riding on the trail.  There is something about being on those two wheels and feeling free.  Free to let all the stresses of the day go, free to enjoy nature and the beauty of God's creation, free to converse with friends who are riding along beside, in front, or slightly behind, and free to be alone.  Yesterday, I experienced the latter, and I felt free.

Admittedly, I get a better workout when I ride with my friends, especially when we are talking animatedly about something and the miles peel away with little or no thought to how fast we are going or what we may be missing along the way.  I love days like that. I love to catch up on the lives of my buds while enjoying the outdoors.  I love when we solve the world's problems, which is pretty much every time we ride, or just work through something personal that is going on.  Mostly, I love laughing so much that I lose my voice midway through the ride, and get it back only when we stop for water.  I have blogged several times about riding with my friends and how much that means to me.  I try to ride with someone at least twice a week, but we are all very forgiving if something comes up and one of us can't ride.  We all feel free to say no.

Yesterday, I rode solo, and I did not mind it at all. Admittedly, my solo ride was a bit shorter and more leisurely than when I ride with my friends, but it was still a great ride, and I am glad I went.  I love my family and friends, but I also love to be alone.  I have been to movies by myself, shopping by myself, trips by myself, and have eaten in numerous restaurants by myself.  Eating alone in a restaurant is unheard of for some, but I find that I sometimes receive better service when I am alone, and especially when I have a notebook or digital device with me because they are not QUITE sure that I am NOT a food critic.  Try it next time, especially if you are dressed well and repeatedly type or write something after eating a bite of food. 

When I ride alone, I try my best to be prepared for the unexpected.  I always have my water, and make certain my cell phone is fully charged in case I have an emergency.  I also keep a small canister of pepper spray attached to my bike for easy retrieval, just in case I need to show it to a dog, or one of those two footed creatures who may look a little too shady.  The last time I pulled it out to show a dog, I honestly think it rolled its eyes at me in complete disinterest.  Usually, I will also have my iPod Shuffle with me, making sure I keep one ear open for approaching cyclists.  I love listening to my playlist while I ride, and often find myself varying my speed based on what song is playing.  It is not uncommon for me to sing out loud, and loudly.  I love music and something about listening to it while riding takes freedom to a new level.

Whether riding alone or with my friends, I never feel as free as when I am riding the trail, talking, singing, or marveling at five deer as they amble across the trail. I am sure they felt pretty free themselves.



1 comment:






  1. I have always known that you like to ride alone. I can't say that I do, however, I make the most of the ride and have long conversations with God along the way. Andy rode with me Sunday and it was so much fun! I miss our rides "solving the worlds problems" so much! My pace is a bit faster when I ride with him (or you) and it pushes me. I just miss riding! It is finally warm here, but the high winds just won't quit! Not sure when it will get better, if it does. I am riding these days at the YMCA and it will never be the same as the "freedom" outside on my bike. Hope we can fit in a ride real soon!



    ReplyDelete