Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Whole30

A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled upon a recipe for homemade mayo that was posted by Kalyn's Kitchen and referenced the Whole30 program that an acquaintance/family member/someone she knows is doing.  I was intrigued by the simplicity of the homemade mayo, and then was further intrigued by Whole30.  After googling (like I do), I discovered two of the cutest people on the planet talking about their program and subsequent book that was actually published in 2009, but has had an insurgence because of social media.  Imagine social media being used for good.  These cuties are a husband and wife team that could not possibly be more fit than they are.  He is a physical therapist and both of them are certified sports nutritionists, and they live in Utah.  From what I have been reading, pretty much the whole state of Utah is obsessed with Whole30 and their blog Whole9.  I am not sure if obsession is in the cards for me, but as my weight continues to climb, something besides food certainly needs to be. 

I know, I know.  Wasn't it just a week or so that I swore of dieting and yearned for a more balanced approach to food and my life in general?  Wasn't I going to "get ahold of my eating, and turn this around?"  I can't remember all the stuff I said, but apparently, it was just "stuff" because since posting that, I have managed to gain MORE!!  I am in desperation mode here, and it takes desperation for me to finally get off my butt and do something about the food I am consuming and the way it makes me feel. 

The premise behind Whole30 is pretty straight forward, simple, and incredibly structured.  I don't like structure, but I also don't like weighing 261 pounds.  That's right---261!  I have not weighed that much in 18 years when I was mega pregnant with Kira.  Whole30 is based on the paleo diet, and if you are not familiar, you basically stay away from all things processed, eliminating grains, sugar including artificial sweeteners (what!?!?!), dairy including cheese (NO!!!), corn and potatoes, except for sweet potatoes (yay!), and legumes, except for green beans (whatever).  This is what I see when looking at the "can't have list"

I can't have Diet Cokes-----I am addicted to Diet Cokes!!! Seriously!!!  I have no less than four 12 ounce cans per day, and sometimes that is just during the working hours.

I can't have cheese----I adore cheese!  All cheese!  Cheese is a big part of my life and now I can't have it.

I can't have bread----I have done without this before, and I can do without it again.  It is tough, but I always had my DC and cheese to fall back on.  I no longer have that.

I can't have sugar in any form----No artificial sweeteners.  No sugar free jello, no sugar free cheesecake or sugar free candy, no GUM!!!

I can't have junk food---yeah, okay, I shouldn't have junk food anyway, but when you tell me I can't, all I do is WANT.

What can I have?

I can have meat, chicken, fish (preferably grass fed, organic, and wild)
I can have fruit
I can have vegetables
I can have sweet potatoes
I can have WATER!!

Whole30 is incredibly restrictive and I am going to get worse before I get better.  The authors of the book tell me that up front, but they also tell me that the payoff is worth it, and I am going to feel better than ever after my 30 days of over.  Did I mention that those restrictions last only 30 days?  That seems like forever from now, but 30 days passes by so quickly, and I should be able to do anything for 30 days, although I believe I would enjoy the "Eat Whatever You Want" program a lot better.  What happens after the 30 days is over?  They are realistic here.  They say that if you want a bowl of ice cream, eat one.  Chances are it will make you feel like death, but if you want it, have it.  I am reading testimonials, and some people to have a special treat once they finished, but most want to jump right back and do another Whole 30.  One woman who looks to be about my age, has lost 43 pounds doing this for three months.  Chances are, she took a break in between and then started back, which is probably what I will do.  I have a LOT of weight to lose, so I will be doing Whole30 several times over. 

I would love to make permanent changes with this program.  I know what grain does to me.  I do not have celiac disease and do not suffer those severe symptoms, but I know that my skin looks better when I stay away from grain, I feel less bloated, I joints do not hurt as bad, and my mind is clearer.  This is what happens to me and may not happen to everyone.  I would love to ditch my beloved Diet Cokes forever.  They have no nutritional value whatsoever, and cause a lot of damage if you believe the studies done.  They also make me hungrier and who doesn't need to drink more water.  I would love to fall in love with fruit.  I have never been a big fruit eater, because I am a junk food person, and all my sweet cravings have always been in the form of cakes, ice creams, candy bars, etc.  I would also love to transition to grass fed beef, organic chicken, and wild caught fish when I can afford to do so, and I believe that will be possible on down the road.  Right now, however, I have to make this work eating supermarket meat, poultry, and fish. 

Will this work?  Will I make it 30 days?  I fully believe that I can.  I will take it one day at a time, and see what happens.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment