Thursday, May 29, 2014

Whole30 Days 2-4

I have not kept up with the daily blogging about the Whole30 approach like I stated I would, but I HAVE stayed true to the program, and am halfway through Day 4.

What have the last three days been like for me? I have had some ups and some downs, and have craved Diet Coke every second of every minute of every hour of every day.  That is not an exaggeration, which tells me that I have a serious addiction.  I thought giving up dairy would be difficult because I love cheese, heavy cream, and sour cream.  It has not been that terrible.  I knew how I would feel about giving up grains, legumes, and sugar, although this is the first time I have ever gone cold turkey from sweeteners of any kind, as I have always had artificial ones around my house, but apparently, Paleo eating frowns on those, and Whole30 frowns on all of it, including honey, which I love.  I believe after the Whole30 is complete, I can substitute honey, molasses, and probably agave in recipes, but we will see. 

So, let's break it down day by day so far:

Day Two:  after completing the first day, I knew Day 2 might be a bit difficult, and it was.  I felt hungry all day long!  I had planned on riding bikes when I got home, but honestly prayed that God would send some rain so we couldn't make the ride.  Sure enough, as I got closer to home, I found out that it had been raining, and we decided to postpone until another time.  We actually could have ridden, because the rain did not come back, but I was good with not going, because I was dead tired, and very cranky.  I meant to go to bed earlier, but did not, which was not a good thing.  I did stay true to the program, however, and ate things such as eggs with bacon, grilled chicken with veggies, and hamburger patty with veggies, and an apple.  I am not sure about the whole fruit thing, especially where apples and bananas are concerned, because they tend to make me crave more.  I think I will stick more to berries most of the time.

Day Three:  it was not terribly bad, although there were ups and downs.  I managed to get through the day at work well, because I worked out in our shop with the clients and it helped pass the time.  I came home and made some homemade mayo (incredibly easy and CHEAP), and used that to make avocado dressing that was very tasty.  I ate a salad with my chicken (also had chicken for lunch) and ate some berries.  Skipping the fruit at lunch made me feel less hungry, so I see a trend here.  Still missed my DC and felt on the verge of cheating at times because the cravings would be that strong.  I managed to get into bed by 10:15---yay!!

Day Four:  I am in the middle of it, but here is what I have learned so far.  My face is broken out even worse than before I started, but since that is normal, I am okay with it.  Nothing a little makeup can't hide.  According to the timeline, I am supposed to want to "kill all the things" but I can't say that I do.  I am a little more testy, but that could just be the normal me.  So far I have not bitten anyone's head off----so far.  The day is still young.  Still having intense cravings, but am drinking my water and trying not to think of them. 

I received some positive encouragement from the few friends I have told about this, and from strangers on the Whole30 FB page.  That always counts, and I will probably be leaning on them more and more.

On the menu for tonight is ribeye steak, a salad, sweet potato, and maybe strawberries with homemade whipped coconut milk.  That actually sounds delicious to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment